Blancher - This covered granite wear Blancher is perfect for preparing fresh vegetables for canning or freezing. Liquid capacity is 7.25 quarts. The manufacturer does not recommend this blancher for glass or ceramic top stoves. However, our experience is that this blancher works fine on "most" flat top stoves.
Blanching & Freezing
Blanch & Prepare fresh produce for freezing in minutes
Blanching and freezing fresh vegetables can be done quickly and
easily. It must be done properly to preserve the greatest quantity
of nutrients. Blanching is essential to prevent loss of quality and
to preserve the vitamin content.
Select vegetables at peak freshness. Process picked vegetables as
quickly as possible. Wash and cut vegetables into bite size pieces.
- Put water in blancher using one gallon per pound of
vegetables. Bring to a rolling boil
- Place prepared vegetables in blancher; cover.
- Steam blanch vegetables according to time on chart below
- Begin timing when steam comes up around blancher lid
- Immediately after blanching, cool vegetables in bowls of ice water
for the same length of time vegetables were blanched. Keep water
- Freeze, using one of these methods:
- Place blanched vegetables on paper towels and pat dry. Place
vegetables on a cookie sheet and freeze until solid. Remove
vegetables from tray and place in freezer bag. Place bag in
- You may block freeze the vegetables by packing the blanched and
drained vegetables into freezer bags or containers. Press air
out of unfilled part of bag. Place bag in freezer.
- Store in freezer at 0 degrees Fahrenheit or lower. Use
within 8-10 months. Longer storage decreases quality but does
not make the food unfit to eat.
Vegetables to Blanch and Eat
Blanching enhances the flavor, color and texture of fresh
vegetables. To prepare attractive, delicious fresh vegetables to
eat, the blancher can be used to quickly cook and drain them.
- Fill blancher with enough water to cover vegetables once
added. Add salt if desired.
- Cover blancher; heat to boiling
- Add vegetables. Cover and boil 7 minutes. Quickly remove
inside portion of blancher to drain. Rinse briefly to stop
- Serve plain, with melted butter or your favorite sauce.
Additional Ways to Use Your Blancher
- To remove tomato skins before canning or eating, immerse tomatoes in
boiling water in blancher for 30 seconds until skins begin to
wrinkle. Then plunge into cold water. Peel with knife.
- Loosen peel on peaches and apricots by blanching in boiling water
for a few seconds
- Ideal for cooking large quantities of food as well as foods which
require the use of a colander
Manufacturer: Columbian Home Products
Mfg. Model Number: 6140-4
UPC Code: 0-72495-06140-8
Dimensions: 8.5" bottom diameter, 9.25" tall (without lid).